NEXT STEPS FOR FINALISTS
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION CAREFULLY!
All IDEA 2012 finalists have been notified. Please ensure your spam filter settings do not block emails from firstname.lastname@example.org. In order to advance to the final round of judging, it is CRITICAL that you follow the next steps in a timely manner. Finalists who do not submit the necessary materials on time will not be eligible to receive an IDEA Award.
Questions? Contact IDSA.
The deadline for finalist confirmation and receipt of all entry materials is April 18, 2012. Any item received after this date will be returned at the finalist’s expense.
STEP 1: Prepare your materials for judging
- Sending a product sample or mock-up/prototype for the final judging round is not required but it is highly recommended, UNLESS the object weighs more than 50 lbs. (23 kg) or if it is larger than 30” x 30” x 30” (76 cm x 76 cm x 76 cm, or roughly the size of a small table). If you need to send your object mounted to a base, this is acceptable as long as the overall size and weight restrictions are still met.
- In lieu of a product sample, you must send a single, mounted poster measuring 24" x 36" explaining your design challenge and solution. Vertical or horizontal orientation is your choice. The poster is your choice to tell the design story, so feel free to include multiple images and/or storyboards.
*Tip: Instead of shipping your mounted poster, you may wish to have your poster, along with your entry form and glamour shot, printed at one the following local printers and transported from there to the judging. Note, IDSA is not affiliated with these companies and does not endorse one over the other. These are provided only for your convenience. However, please reference IDSA when placing your order so they may be transported together at no charge. The deadline to send your files to these shops for printing is April 18. Posters ordered through these shops will be held for direct delivery.
FedEx Office Print & Ship Center (use this location ONLY)
23400 Michigan Ave, Suite 145
Dearborn, MI 48124
Phone: (313) 359-3124
Fax: (313) 359-3128
Print Package Includes:
One - 24"x36" Color Post Print, Laminated and Mounted
One – 8.5" X11" Color Glossy Glamour Shot Print
Two – Labels with Required Entry Information
Two – 8.5"X11" Black & White Prints of the Entry Form
Average Price: $90.00* per package Cost
*final cost will be provided at the time your files are recieved
Send the following file requirements to email@example.com:
Sized 24"x36" Poster in Print-Ready PDF Format
Sized 8.5"x11" Glamour Shot in Print-Ready PDF Format
Official Submitted Entry Form
Completed Credit Card Authorization Form (provide to FedEx with files).
Important Information for submitting your files:
Please name all files according to file contents. Your last name_entry id#_file type.pdf
For example: smith_id0576_poster.pdf / smith_id0576_glamshopt.pdf / smith_id0576_entryform.pdf
All files must be zipped and in PDF format—maximum file size 40 megabytes.
For your convenience, all entries will be delivered to The Henry Ford Museum.
Multiple entries for the same individual will be shipped together.
- A video is also encouraged if you haven't already submitted one as part of your entry. If you have a newer or extended video to send, please upload it to the IDEA dropbox online by April 20. Please use only your entry ID for the video filename. If you haven't made changes to any video you submitted originally, you do not need to resend it. Videos for the final round may be up to 15 MB and 5 minutes. Acceptable filetypes include .MOV, .WMV, .AVI, .SWF, and .MPEG/.MPG.
All IDEA Finalists must also send:
- One full-size printed glamour image (8.5" x 11") of the entry and
- One copy of your original entry form printed from the edit/submit tab in your OMNI account online. Note, this form will display a low-resolution glamour shot for our quick reference; it will not show all of your original images or PDFs. Printouts of your original design/challenge images or PDFs are not needed but may be included to supplement samples and prototypes.
What NOT to send:
- You must NOT include the designer’s or design firm names anywhere on the printed entry form, images or other submitted material (excluding shipping and release forms and labels) or your entry will be disqualified. As before, it's acceptable to have corporate brand names or logos on the materials you send, if they are inherent to the product. Do NOT send design credits or a list of the designer's names. Final design credits will be verified with winners prior to any publication or announcement.
- If you already submitted a video and haven't made any changes, please do not resend it.
- Do not include a printed release statement or a copy of your paid invoice in your package.
STEP 2: Get your shipment ready
All materials will be received by The Henry Ford. Please follow the directions provided to ensure that your materials are received properly. If you have multiple Finalist entries they can be sent in the same outer box provided they are separately packaged and labeled inside. Clearly indicate on the outer label that the box contains multiple entries.
You may use the shipper of your choice but we highly recommend paying for a tracking service to avoid delays and lost shipments. If you are shipping products internationally, you may also wish to use a customs broker to reduce the likelihood of problems with your package being held at U.S. customs.
COD Deliveries will not be accepted.
Do not bill the receiver (The Henry Ford)
The Henry Ford and IDSA are not responsible for lost shipments, misdirected shipments, wrong address or items delayed in customs.
Insurance is highly recommended; if you purchase additional insurance, The Henry Ford is not responsible for items while in transit, your party is responsible for all claims.
Additional Information for Foreign Shipping:
Shipper is responsible for all customs and duties; The Henry Ford and IDSA will not cover these expenses.
To expedite your shipment, please send with label in English.
If using a wooden crate for shipping, the wood must be approved for entry into and shipment from the United States, by US Customs and the International Plant Protection Convention and clearly marked “free from bugs” on the exterior.
A copy of the certificate of origin should be included.
Return shipping: If you would like samples/prototypes to be returned, you must indicate this in your entry form online, pay an additional $50 handling fee, and include a prepaid airbill from FedEx or UPS as well as customs forms or commercial invoices in your shipment. All forms, including shipping lables must be writtten in English.
Winning entries will be held for exhibition in the Design Gallery of the 2011 IDSA International Conference and for other exhibitions though November 2012. Following that, IDSA will donate all winning entries to the permanent collections of The Henry Ford. If you requested your entry be returned, we will return your product to you at your expsense. Printed images, videos and other 2D materials will NOT be returned.
The Henry Ford is not responsible for items while in transit, your party is responsible for all insurance claims.
Freight Shipment returns:
You may use your choice of freight line with your own account.
Please include copy of the bill of lauding, your address label, the name of the freight company and date of arrival.
The receiving department at The Henry Ford is open between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday—Friday; freight will not be accepted outside these days / hours. Please note this when scheduling your shipment.
If you are sending multiple items, they should be packaged separately with their own return labels and customs paperwork (if needed).
Final notes on shipping:
Label everything you are sending, including any cords/accessories in the original packaging. For posters and images, please affix labels to the back right corner. You can print labels quickly from your OMNI account main menu or make your own with the following information:
[Entry ID] [Entry Title]
[Category] [Sub category]
Next, your outer shipping label should be addressed as follows (please do not forget to include your entry ID and category):
IDSA c/o The Henry Ford
[Entry ID] [Category]
20900 Oakwood Boulevard
Dearborn, MI 48124-5029
For questions regarding shipping please contact The Henry Ford: Alicia Barnes (313) 982-6074.
STEP 3: Return to OMNI to confirm your entries
Once your shipment is ready, return to your OMNI account to provide IDSA with shipping/tracking information for each Finalist.
Click EDIT/SUBMIT and then Confirm Finalist Information, electronically sign the release statement, and pay finalist fees online.
Students are now required to pay $100 for the finalist fee.