DULLES, Va., Jan. 17, 2012 – The Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA) has assembled this year’s International Design Excellence Awards (IDEA®) jury to choose the IDEA 2012 honorees. Nineteen international design experts from design consultancies, corporations and universities compose the jury. The jury members include:
- Chair: Rhys Newman, head of advanced projects at Nokia, Nokia Insight and Innovation
- Jonah Becker, principal, One & Co.
- Jan Chipchase, executive creative director, frog design
- Ed Dorsa, assistant director and associate professor, Virginia Tech’s School of Architecture and Design
- Khodi Feiz, founder, Feiz Design
- Sean Hägen, principal, BlackHägen Design Inc.
- Lance Hussey, vice president and creative director, RKS Design
- Shaun Jackson, professor, University of Michigan
- Matt Jones, principal, BERG
- Mike Kruzeniski, creative director, Microsoft Mobile
- Sam Lucente, designer
- Thomas Overthun, associate partner and practice director, IDEO
- Carrie Russell, senior design manager, Procter & Gamble
- Leslie Speer, associate professor of design, San José State University
- Philip Swift, director of industrial design, North America, Crown Equipment
- Tad Toulis, creative director, TEAGUE
- Duncan Trevor-Wilson, global design manager for emerging markets, GE Healthcare
- Tucker Viemeister, director, special projects, Ralph Appelbaum Associates Inc.
- Simon Waterfall, creative director, fray
For bios and photos, visit http://idsa.org/idsa-idea-awards.
The jury will first consider entries online to determine finalists. Then they will gather May 2-4 for hands-on jurying at The Henry Ford to decide the winners. To review the judging criteria, visit http://www.idsa.org/idea-2012-entry-rules-criteria-instructions.
Started in 1980, the IDEA program fosters business and public understanding about the impact of industrial design excellence on the quality of life and the economy. The Henry Ford houses IDEA winners in its permanent collection to continue to tell the story of American innovation. Curve magazine, Core 77 and Yanko Design are media sponsors for IDEA 2012.
With its roots reaching back to 1938 and founded in 1965, the Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA) is the world’s oldest, largest, member-driven society for industrial design. IDSA represents professionals in product design, interaction design, human factors, ergonomics, design research, design management, universal design and related design fields. The society produces the renowned International Design Excellence Award® (IDEA) competition annually; hosts the International Design Conference and five regional conferences each year; and publishes Innovation, a quarterly journal on design, and designBytes, a weekly e-newsletter highlighting the latest headlines in the design world. IDSA's charitable arm, the Design Foundation, supports the dissemination of undergraduate and graduate scholarships annually to further industrial design education. The organization has more than 3,000 members in 29 professional chapters in the U.S. and internationally.